Thursday, April 9, 2009

AOP is a New NILMDTS Photographer


Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep (NILMDTS) is a an organization that provides professional photography services for families who may not ever have the chance to take their newborn home. I had heard about the organization several years ago, when I was pregnant with my first baby. I thought it was a great cause, but was really not sure if it was something I could handle. Over the years, I went to fill out the application many times, only to stop short of actually sending it. I was not sure I could handle it--being a parent, I know all too well the joy that comes with a pregnancy, and to have it end in infant loss--I just could not imagine it, or how I could deal with it. But, I kept thinking about. The organization would pop up in conversation, or I would come across something online about it. I felt like the universe was trying to tell me something. After a lot more thinking and talking, I decided to finally finish my application, and I just got my acceptance email!
I know this will be hard, but I think it is really worthwhile work, and I hope it will help the families in some way.

2 comments:

Susan Solo said...

Good for you, Amie! I know how hard it must be for everyone involved, but it's such important work, and the families must really appreciate you volunteering.

Tanya Field said...

Hi

I just applied for nilmdts
I know i will be accepted but i have fears as i am too a mother, and i fear i will cry during shoots as i feel parents pain and see their beautiful infants that have or will pass on.
Have you done a shoot...I am excited to be apart of something so powerful and helpful to the lossbut i worry about my own mental well being.