Sunday, March 30, 2008

Genius of Photography

Ovation TV is one of my new favorite channels. We discovered it over the last holiday season when they had a full day of Nutcracker performances from all different dance companies--I was in heaven! Being a former dancer and having been in several different Nutcracker performances, I couldn't get enough. The last few days they have been doing a photography series which is just outstanding. I just watched a Photographer's at Work show tonight and was really inspired. One of the photographers featured was Timothy Greenfield-Sanders. He shoots mainly portraits and has photographed nearly every news-worthy person of our time. He talked about the importance of connecting with your subjects and finding a bit of yourself in the photos (a theme all of the photographers talked about, interestingly enough!). I started thinking about what that meant to my work. I think it comes down to documenting and preserving people's memories and life milestones the way I would preserve my own. Albert Maysles also talked about making sure that you don't get so caught up in the technical aspect of photography that you lose the human element--that connection. That really resonated with me as well--I feel like you really have to be in touch with the emotion of what is going on--whether it is a newborn baby, or a wedding--to really have your photograph say something.
Anyway...enough of my rambling for now. I need to head off to bed!

No comments: